Here are some Folk and Indie songs we’ve been enjoying in Spring.
Music is a huge part of our lives. I’d say music is playing in our house at least 75% of the time and the other 25% could potentially be filled with one of us practicing the piano. Here are 5 songs I’m really enjoying right now (in no particular order because well, that just requires too much thinking).
“Call it Dreaming” by Iron and Wine. I remember listening to Iron and Wine a lot when the Twilight movies came out. They had THE BEST soundtracks, does anyone remember that?! Anyways, the song “Call it Dreaming” came up on one of my Spotify radio stations last week and I immediately listened to it again when it was over with. It has a happy/go lucky melody to it and just makes you smile when you listen to it.
“Lapis Lazuli” by the Oh Hellos. This song is sort of in the same situation as the one before. I had listened to the Oh Hellos before (but it had been awhile) but this song came up on a Spotify radio station I was listening to and I immediately sent it to Emmalynn and said “listen to this.” We both are slightly obsessed with the Oh Hellos now. Emmalynn can tell you more about that later. They have such a unique sound. They are folksy with a slight Irish sound. There isn’t one song of theirs I don’t like.
“Feels like Home” by Drew and Ellie Holcomb. When we were packing to leave Tennessee to move to Washington I first heard this song. It made me slightly sad to think about what we were leaving in Tennessee and the memories there. Now when I listen to it it is with fondness at the good times we had there and all the things we love about living in the south. Drew and Ellie Holcomb’s voices together are pure magic, Johnny and June vibes for sure.
“Mountain Air” by Cody Francis. If I could have one song as my life’s soundtrack this might be it. I first heard this song as we were driving in the mountains of North Carolina and fell in love. I honestly love all of Cody Francis’ music but this one would have to be my favorite. His music is also perfect for listening to while reading. He has both instrumental and vocal versions of his songs often times as well.
“Beloved” by Mumford and Sons. Emmalynn and I are partial to any songs that have the banjo in them so this was an obvious choice when we decided to pick one album we both liked. The Mumford and Sons are the epitome of folk music and they are so talented in both their instruments and vocals.
If you haven’t noticed I’m an old soul. Any old music or folk/indie I’m here for. I went straight from only listening to Taylor Swift and Disney Channel soundtracks to listening to The Paper Kites and Fleetwood Mac.
“Like the Dawn” by the Oh Hellos is hands down one of my favorite songs of all time. Like my mom said before, her and I are huge Oh Hellos fans. I can’t wait for concerts to be a thing again and having the chance to see them live. I love this song mainly because of how upbeat it is. All of the Oh Hellos songs sound slightly Irish and something you can always dance to.
“Blue Eyed Girl” by the Arcadian Wild. I actually only discovered this song a few days ago but I absolutely love it! My favorite line is “Oh, I wouldn’t mind staying up talking to you all night as you’re telling me everything about the books you read.” I mean do I even need to say anything else?! Songs about books…does it get any better?
“Coney Island” by Taylor Swift and The National. First off Folklore and Evermore are the Taylor Swift albums that I’ve been waiting for. I love all of the songs but especially Coney Island. This song is so good! I love the stories the songs on Evermore tell. If you have Disney Plus, watch the Long Pond Sessions. Hearing Taylor and The National sing this song “live” was so amazing.
“St. Clarity” by the Paper Kites. I love the Paper Kites in general, all their albums are so good! I love how different their sound is, you can’t find many other people like them. They are currently touring Australia and I’m praying one day they tour the U.S. again. If you haven’t heard of the Paper Kites you should definitely check them out! All their songs are very chill.
“Rose of Sharon” by Mumford and Sons. This is one of my favorite songs from their album Delta. Delta is my favorite Mumford and Sons album, I love all the songs on this album (well except for that one weird one that just doesn’t fit with the rest of the album). I don’t have a specific reason why I love this song…I just really like it.
Check out our link tree here for our Spotify: https://linktr.ee/theselyricsandlines